So of course everyone is talking about the new Star Wars movie, but I choose to put that off during its opening weekend and instead went to see Spotlight(with like 8 other people). I knew Spotlight had been nominated for a Golden Globe, but I was still surprised that I enjoyed watching it so much.
Things to Know About the Movie Spotlight:
- Spotlight is based on a true story. The film follows the journalists of the Boston Globe that investigated and released a story revealing the sexual abuse scandal in the Boston Catholic Church in 2001-2002.
- I mentioned that the film is currently nominated for the Golden Globes and they have two nominations, one for Best Picture and one for Best Screenplay. The film is also nominated for two SAG awards, which include Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role(which is for Rachel McAdams). I think I enjoyed the film so much due to the wonderful performance from the entire cast, however I was surprised that Rachel McAdams received a SAG nomination, as I believe Mark Ruffalo stole the show.
- The film is rated R but I think it is just due to the mature material(and a few uses of mature language but it is barely a rated R film.)
- It is definitely an emotional and serious story, but the film itself was entertaining as you are taken through the process of investigative journalism.
- Also, did I mention that Mark Ruffalo was great.(Seriously though)