I saw the film Carol, this past weekend which was directed by Todd Haynes and will be released next week on the twentieth of November. I also realized from watching this film how distinct Weinstein films are, as they are the studio behind this film, and how much they love heavy dramas and Carol is no exception.
Cons of Carol:
- This is a pure drama and at about two hours long so if that is not your favorite type of genre than this movie is probably not for you.
- I love drama films, but for me the beginning was tough to sit through as I felt the film took too long to really get going and that the best parts of the movie are in the last act.
Pros of Carol:
- The film stars two female leads, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, and they were both brilliant. They make the film a masterpiece.
- It is a period drama, which I love, and the costume design in particular is magnificent.
- I felt the storyline was unique and it is based off of a novel, The Price of Salt, written by the talented Patricia Highsmith.(Which I have not read so I am not sure how closely the film sticks to the novel)
Recommend: If you love period dramas and/or Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. However, be prepared for a slow start.